Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Big Parade

Recently, several of my pards and I got on to the topic of the grand review at the end of the war, and how the two armies were recieved. I saw this article on the Authentic Campaigner, and thought that I should share it with you all. As a midwesterner, and western federal reenactor, it makes my heart swell with pride.

http://www.33wis.com/articles/pdf/Big%20Parade%20-%20Grand%20Review.pdf

My favorite line is that from the German ambassador who said of Sherman's boys, "With an army like that, you could whip the devil."

2 comments:

  1. "Hardier, knotier, weirder". I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, I liked the portion where they mentioned behind each line was a mule packed down and chickens and such. I also liked the section when the Western army was in the vicinity of Richmond.

    ReplyDelete